A mix of things...



My significant other stumbled across my last blog regarding her request. Let’s just say that she, yes she, wasn’t so thrilled. The birthday gift ended before it even began.

I have to admit that I’m a bit relieved. I know that the frequency of sexual intimacy is not a measure of our commitment. Pause. Now I can savor the decadence of a spontaneous needy fix. Hooray for small miracles.

After some thought, I think way too much, I believe that her request was an attempt to keep me near. She thinks that she is losing me.

With great sadness, I ended my internship last Friday. I’ve had an amazing summer. I will miss the incredibly talented lawyers in the public interest field. They are rebel rousers, social movers and change makers—fighters of unpopular causes. Charles Houston was right; lawyers are either social parasites or social engineers. I am no parasite. I will miss my clients, women at point zero, struggling to regain control of their lives. I have faith in their ability to change and move forward.

I start my final year of law school on Monday—with a mix of exhilaration and relief. I cannot write of all the times that I have thought about leaving it all behind to return to normalcy. Life came around full circle this summer as I was imploring Tara, another woman of color, not to leave law school. But what of those behind you? I thought.

Tara finally decided to escape to California for the semester to gather her spirit and mind. Hopefully she will return in the spring to finish the task at hand. I often wonder about these large predominately white institutions of power—so many brown bodies crushed in the shadows. This is about so much more than her or I. We need a revolution with lawyers on the front line. I am preparing my weapons and armor for war.

I am grateful for the lawyers of Pakistan speaking truth to power—reminiscent of lawyers in the American civil rights movement. They have dismantled Musharraf. They have given me faith in the measure of my professional degree.

Life is unfolding in my hands. Life, deliver me.

Comments

Judy D. said…
i like that line about lawyers being either parasites or engineers.

i congratulate you on your almost completion of law school... Did u love it more than college?
-Q. said…
See, im new..

Why nobody told me she was female too lmao!

Finish strong You answer that question what those behind you by the trail you set. Your example whether you know it can and likely will be inspiration to atleast someone..
Those brown bodies in the shadows dont necessarily need help they just need example to realte to and they'll make it like you are doing now.. Have a good one -Q.
shine said…
@ judy
thanks. much luck to you as well. I loved...college, hated law school. Enjoy college--take every course that u want to take--learn, grow and spread ur wings.

@-q,
haha. got u. i know, u r new to the blog. thanks for the inspiration. u are right, can't necessarily worry about others--i have to do my part and move forward.
Welcome back! I thought you had given up on writing on your blog.

I, too, liked your definition of lawyers. It seems to me that you are a social engineer and the world your raw material to help erect a more harmonious building.

Lastly, in a clear exmaple of synchronicity (to which I am dedicating a post very soon) I just finished a review on Derrick Bell's bestseller 'Faces at the Bottom of the Well'. It is for a new website and details will be forthcoming as soon as they go live. Bell resigned from his post at Harvard in the 90s because of the poor representation of black women amongst its tenured professors. Talk about making a stand.

Keep strong and thanks for the visit.

Greetings from London.
shine said…
@ Cuban

Yes, I'm back. Life gets in the way of writing sometimes.I can't wait to read ur review of "faces at the bottom..." I read it a few years ago-it is haunting.Bell and West are the few who chose to take a stand in the face of injustice. I respect them.
I can't wait to c ur new site!
who? said…
I wish you the best in law school... hopefully you'll lead a whole new nation of lawyers to do what those lawyers in Pakistan are doing... and... when significant other becomes too predictable with it... you know Canon is always an inquiry away... ready to bring the spontaneity to your front door... or back... or the front by way of the back... lol... so unpredictable...
needy fix lol
no books still
Don said…
Shine,
I would have never guessed that you field of study was Law. No wonder you are good with the attention to detail - that is your forte. Then, when I consider the fact that you are a fierce writer, I can see why the name is 'Shine.'

That woman doesn't want to leave you for nothing in the world, does she. LOL. Who would?
shine said…
@ can van...

to the first part of your comment, thanks. to the second part. lol. no words.

@torrance,

no books yet. i've given up all hope.

@Don,
yup, law it is for now. thanks for your kind words. nope--i don't think that she wants to leave. i tend to have that affect on people. haha
Unknown said…
shine: you won't say any words... but I know that's a yes... I got ya... ;) ... lol
Buttercup said…
concernin ur significant other..awwwww....i have to go n read the request..

u sound so passionate bout law..all the best with ur final year!
Mizrepresent said…
Hey lady, welcome back! Yep, i've been checking and it's been awhile. My best to you and yours...who wouldn't want to hold on to something wonderful, it is indeed our nature to want to keep whats good, whether it is good for us or not. Keep blazing trails lady, we need you!
shine said…
@ canon
smile. i know where to go.

@buttercup
yeah--u gotta catch up. haha. thanks, sweetie.

@miz
hey, lady. yes, it's been a while. thanks for checking up on me. thanks for the well wishes.
Unknown said…
You have already been set free. Now cast your manacles aside with sheer determination and the world will unfold before your very eyes... You are more blessed than you could ever imagine!
shine said…
@tony oh,

yes, this is very true. wise words from a wise man.
The Dreamy One said…
hey sweets, happy to see that you are back!!!

missed ya much!!!

things are gonna well for you in school, wishing you all the best sweets...

and from your older post i picked up that your lover was a female!!!
sweet!!
kay-shawn said…
Wish you all the best in your studies. It's great to be a lawyer isn't it? I'm sure you're very familiar with the statistics among ex-American Presidents. Hopefully, come January another lawyer will occupy the oval office.
shine said…
Dreamy,

So glad to have you back! I missed you! I am glad that you are feeling better. Thanks for your well wishes. I need them. Yes, my lover is a luscious woman. lol. sweet!

Kayshawn,
yes, I know the statistics. It's liberating. I have faith that the next president will be a lawyer ;-0thanks for stopping in.
Melody.Darlene said…
well we have faith in u as the new generation of lawyers!
shine said…
@ melody

Thanks for the inspiration, doll. Welcome.
Don said…
@ shine: i can believe that you have that effect, i just have that feeling. admire the law school studies.
eizzy.k said…
always wanted 2 go to law school...dunno if i can handle it though...
congrats 2 u!
shine said…
eizzy.k

Thank you. It's brutal but we need more lawyers of color. If it is in your heart--go for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Learned

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST