Manifest Destiny

There is a woman who cannot forget. All of the moments of her life are a constant amalgamation playing in her mind, every hour, every minute, and every second of her existence in this physical world. I watched her story a few nights ago, with mouth agape.

How intense would it be to have all of my moments present always? To remember every sunrise, every autumn day, the feeling of cool on my skin, the warmth of sand, my first kiss, my lover’s touch--a heightened form of consciousness perhaps. What I wouldn’t give, I thought, to close the passing of time.

But then, just as she began to explain her gift, darkness came into her face and my fascination ended. Her memories have been to her a haunting.

Because she can never forget, she can never begin anew. Her life is a constant regurgitation. There are no cocoons or metamorphoses. She is as she always was, trapped in the moment before.

Unabated memory has stripped her of the ability to transform. Meaning is only that which you mean it to be; its purest construction turned inside out. I am who I say I am. Through this blog, through the words, I am anything that I fancy to be and you will believe. Much of life is edited—our memories and thoughts. We tell ourselves and others stories, our egos run amok. We fashion our very existence--manifest love, sadness or strife. That things are rigid and static is the ultimate illusion. The present is all we have; create or perish.

So to this, I am glad that unlike this woman, I will forget. I’ve already made a list of things that I will mitigate, edit and comb into my life’s historical context. I will forget the day that my mother died, but through each breath, I will celebrate her life. I will discard the utter frustration of law school, but I will always practice justice. I will trivialize and dismiss assumptions and negative inferences made on the basis of my race, sex and sexuality. But I will hold all the joy that this Blakness, this Womynness, this Queerness can contain. I will distance myself from heartache but I will always bare my heart. I will do this today, and tomorrow I will wake to begin again and again and again…

Comments

beautiful truth is your gift, and even when pain passes, memories fade or are recreated, even in the face of blatant lies, when we bathe in our own ugliness and rinse ourselves in our own illusions, delusions, self-elusion - stripped bare, beauty and a truth, your truth, remain. i wish i had seen this special...it reminds me of that thing we watched, where the children could not feel pain, where there skin could not absorb hurt, a permanent numbness seems so desirable, but for them, it is but hell, to be numb, to not feel, to not experience, to not learn, to not KNOW, to not have choice, is but hell. ive learned that love has provided me more pain than anything, but to not have known...and when the pain passes, the beauty remains. your words remain my light, even when i wish to reject it and be dark.
shine said…
That's uncanny, as I watched the special I too linked it to the special we saw about the children who can not feel pain. And then I began to think about how amazing the body is--pain is our signal to let us know that something has gone wrong. Without pain, we would never stop and mend. In the same way, the loss of memory helps us repair scars and old wounds. It is like fresh skin.

To not have known...that is the question.
we must always be able to adapt, adopt and as u said transform. ho ya been sister, stay focused on the law school stuff i know it hard, but if i can get a phd i know u can do the thang. and shoot me an email, wanna share some reading material with u so u dont have to read law stuff all the time to relax u
Unknown said…
Wow...absolutely marvelous...you could very well become one of my favorite writers...your expression is stupendous! I'm simply flabbergasted...You have an amazing gift of communication and vivid illustration... I love it!
This is my first time here but it won't be my last, I'm blog rolling you sista! Please stop in and checkout my site as well...www.media2live4.blogspot.com

Stop in anytime...You are tight!
Don said…
very promising read. i love the way you captured the spirit of re-birth. we could all stand to take your sound advice.
Charles said…
Your writing is ridiculous...I love how you word things and the feeling that you give. You should definitely write more when you get a chance. And I love your new profile pic...too sexy for words...
Anonymous said…
I would love to remember every sunrise, my first kiss, every fall day. Living a life not remembering these things really blows; living a life dwelling on all of your past pains and basing your life on it is a horrible existance. One day I too will be free.

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson Learned

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST

A mix of things...